Friday 31 August 2012

Flash Fiction Friday: Preview

Hey Guys,


Friday’s posts are short Flash Fiction writing exercises.

I will either use a photo or a prompt of some sort, maybe a phrase from time to time, to get inspiration and start my introduction to any story.

This week I have a very special surprise for you all. It is a short preview of my book Mysery which I have finished writing and am about to start editing.


Matilda Mysery Downes is tired of her life in the quiet Village of Greenmoss and wishes for something bigger and more exciting, but she should have been careful what she wished for.
The 1920's girl ends up in present day London, lost and confused on how she got here. She knows that she does not belong and yet stays to explore, meeting a charming gentlemen called Richard on her journeys.
This story is about her travels and how the new coloured world effects this plain, grey-scale girl and what happens when she overstays her welcome.

This is the start of the first chapter, there will be an edit to this, but so far this is how it stands.



Mysery
Chapter One, Preview

As I sat alone in the corn field, I watched the stars as they twinkled and enticed me. The crystal moon stared my way. The night sky was so relaxing and pleasant.
I grabbed at an innocent blade of grass and started to dismantle it slowly. I sat wondering how the corn grew. The field had always been abandoned, forbidden even, and yet the crops grew, unaided yet wasted. The corn was never harvested; neglected by the village.
I thought about this small village that I had always been my home. This quiet village was a small pond, and I was a big fish and I was waiting for something to take me away. Every day I prayed that something exciting would happen in this village but each day was dull and un-eventful.
I laid back and wished to become one of the beautiful stars above, to twinkle and give hope. I hoped that I would be noticed, recognised, loved; this was my dream. This disillusion would never happen in such a small pond. I needed to escape.
I sat back up and snatched at another blade of grass. From behind came a foul barking, and I froze, staring out into the cornfields ahead.
Slowly I turned to where the vicious barking travelled from, but all that greeted me was darkness. I carefully stood up, turned and noticed a figure, stood on the other side of the gate, on the cobbled paving. Shouting shortly followed the sight of her.
 “Get out! Get out!” she shouted, distressed and panic-stricken.
I stood still for a fractured second, it felt like an hour. I had two choices: go back and face my punishment, as this woman would tell my mother of what had happened and she would be livid; or to run, run in the opposite direction
I foolishly chose the second option, turned on the spot and ran away from the cobbled pavement and the crazed woman who stood screaming. I could see on the other side that there was a second gate.  The woman sharply ran after me, the screeches of both animals ran faster than I could.

For more writing from myself please follow the link: http://mattthomaswriting.blogspot.co.uk/

Let me know what you think of my Flash Fiction writing and if you have any ideas for inspiration the comment below.

Stay safe,

Matt


1 comment:

  1. Matt I am so happy that everyone is getting the chance to see your work!! I cannot wait to read "Mystery!! <3

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner