Wednesday 8 August 2012

Writing Update Wednesday: Remember your senses


Hey Guys,



So you’re wondering how my writing is going? You want to know what I’m getting up to on my stories or what’s going to happen next? Well, let me update you on everything so far.

This week I have been focusing  on the five senses.

All the way through my book Mysery I have been focusing mainly on one or two senses. Yet for this week I have been focusing on adding more of the other senses.

Now I know you probably all know the five senses, but I’m going to place them in just for a sense of purpose.

Senses:
·         Smell
·         Sight
·         Sound
·         Touch
·         Taste

Mainly in books and writing people remember sight and a few smells; and writers tend to forget the other senses until later on, as I seem to have done.

So what I have started doing is writing the rest of my story in the following way and said that when I go through my editing I will start addin the other senses.

The way I have started to write the story is, for every scene, I place the five senses on a piece of paper and the main theme or activity of the scene at the top of the page. Then off each sense I have placed what the character’s senses.

Finally, there should be one more sense. This sense should be feel. This is in the way of how do all these other five senses make the character feel.

So I hope this helps you, it has helped me extreamly and it is my focus of the week.

Stay safe,

Matt

1 comment:

  1. Such an important one! Feeling a characters pain, be it physical or emotional is so important to a reader. I have cried, laughed and grimaced reading several books, which to ME indicates the author has done their job!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner