Wednesday 1 August 2012

Writing Update Wednesday: You've Got to Read to Write

Hey Guys,


So you’re wondering how my writing is going? You wanna know what I’m getting up to on my stories or what’s going to happen next? Well let me update you on everything so far.


Sometimes when writing a new book, or new chapter, etc. you need to do a little bit of research and this week has been no different to me. I have completed 5 chapters of my Mysery book, almost finished the sixth, and have started rough work on my next book, Bitter Shandy.

Bitter Shandy is a story about a girl, Shandy, who is rescued from a life of drink and drugs. She is given a chance to live her dream of being an actress, but the stress of acting and her new boyfriend, Malik, get too much for her. To add to this Malik confronts her when he suspects her of cheating. Can she handle all this new stress, or will she go spiriling down into worse situations?

This story is not like any other one I want to write, and it will be very hard for me, as it is in a non-linear form. It is not just about the two main characters, or even just about Shandy. All the characters are key parts to what happens to Shandy in the end.

To work in this style I have had to read through countless books and online blogs to see what I can muster from them to help me in this new style. Some are more helpful than others.

Also, whilst researching, I have decided to read Belle De Jour - The Intimate Adventures Of A London Call Girl as I thought it may help make my character more rounded and structured. Well seeing as I have kind of fallen in love with Belle I’m guessing the book will probably help me along the ways.

So my point today is that sometimes you don’t need to write as much in one week, because maybe that week you need to do more reading and research so that your characters, and story are more believable and creative.

Stay safe,

Matt

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read them!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello i am kavin, its my first time to commenting
    anywhere, when i read this article i thought i could also make comment due to this brilliant piece of writing.
    Here is my web site :: Antique Windows

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner